How To Order Coffee in Singapore
Singapore's coffee culture is as diverse as the city itself, offering a rich tapestry of coffee styles and flavors. If you're new to the Lion City or just looking to up your coffee game, you're in the right place. It can be a little confusing ordering coffee in local kopitiams, but we'll walk you through everything you need to know about ordering coffee in Singapore like a seasoned local.
1. Know Your Coffee Lingo: Singaporeans love their coffee, and they have a unique way of ordering it. Here are some coffee jargon essentials:
- Kopi: This means "coffee" in Malay, and it's the foundation of many local coffee variations.
- Kopi O: Black coffee without milk, with sugar.
- Kopi C: Coffee with sugar and evaporated milk.
- Kopi O Kosong: Coffee without sugar and milk.
- Kopi Gau: Extra strong coffee.
- Kopi Peng: Iced coffee.
2. Choose Your Coffee Style: Singapore offers a range of coffee styles, each with its own unique taste. Here are a few popular ones:
- Kopi: If you like your coffee bold and robust, go for Kopi.
- Kopi-O Kosong: For black coffee enthusiasts, Kopi-O is your choice.
- Kopi-C: Creamier and sweeter, thanks to the evaporated milk.
- Kopi Gao: When you need an extra caffeine kick, ask for Kopi Gau.
- Kopi Peng: Perfect for hot days, it's iced coffee served with condensed milk.
3. Sweetness Level: In Singapore, you can customize your coffee's sweetness level. Common terms include:
- Siew Dai: Less sugar.
- Kosong: No sugar.
- Gah Dai: Extra sugar.
4. Find a Kopitiam: Kopitiams are traditional coffee shops where you'll find some of the best local coffee. They're scattered across Singapore, offering a cozy and authentic coffee experience.
5. Try Traditional Snacks: Pair your coffee with traditional snacks like kaya toast or half-boiled eggs for the complete local experience.
6. Embrace the Coffee Culture: Ordering coffee in Singapore is more than just getting a caffeine fix; it's about immersing yourself in the vibrant coffee culture and savoring the unique flavors and rituals.
Now that you're armed with the knowledge of how to order coffee in Singapore, it's time to embark on a coffee adventure. Explore the kopitiams, savor the different coffee styles, and embrace the warm hospitality of local coffee shops. Whether you like it strong and bold or creamy and sweet, Singapore's coffee scene has something to satisfy every coffee lover's palate. So, go ahead, order like a pro, and enjoy your coffee journey in this bustling city.
However, if you're looking to bring home some Singapore coffee goodies back as gifts, our Nanyang Roast Coffee Powder and our Nanyang Roast Concentrate is a perfect option. It's super simple to make your very own Singapore Kopi with a few of our recipes.